Sunday, April 03, 2005

Whenever I venture into my New and Emerging Diseases class, which is every MWF from 11-11:50am, I get the treat of seeing my good friend Dan Stermer. He is taking the class Pass/Fail, something I should have done now that I'm pulling a strong C- to D (completely ridiculous but that's another story).

"Why is this a treat?" You ask quizzically. Well friend, Dan blatantly doesn't pay attention. He reads books, draws on my notes, and mostly goes to sleep. Now I have been sleepy in many classes during my time in school. I really get a kick out of how people attempt to sleep.

This class is a big lecture. We sit in large accending rows which are usually full. As a teacher, you can glance through the crowd and easily spot those who are zoning out, taking notes, being studious, and oh I dunno conveniantly covering their eyes with their hands, or how about just putting their head down in their crossed arms?

I know these techniques because I myself have done them, and you know you have too at some point. I don't know who we think we are kidding. No matter how many students are in a lecture hall the teacher will scan the audience from time to time and you will stick out like a sore thumb.

What I find especially amusing is watching people fade into sleep, their heads start to fall down, but then it snaps back into "No I'm awake" mode. Truely fabulous. I love watching someone fight it. The battle royal for consciousness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lost that battle once in a meterology class. Was watching a film on ... I don't remember, I fell asleep and when I woke an hour and a half later, I was alone in the lecture hall and late for my next class...


ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ