Wednesday, October 27, 2010


I'm gonna get real with you guys right now. It should come as NO surprise that I do indeed own the book whose art is displayed to the left. It should also not surprise you that I think farts are hilarious. What can I say - I'm forever five years old. And though I find the IDEA of farts enjoyable the reality is sometimes they aren't so fun. Case in point, the overwhelming stench of a dog fart that creeps in on you like a ninja. The story of it is great to share but the experience singes your nose hairs.

Now I'm not one of those women who will pretend they don't poop or fart. And I don't consider myself a gassy person in general BUT as of late it's a bit of an issue. Mostly since it's in the form of the silent but deadly variety. This has been happening for the past week and it's really unacceptable so I've tasked myself to figure out what exactly is happening.

"You are what you eat." That's the basis of my theory on where this gas is coming from. Lately I've been eating more of a vegetarian diet but that's been going on for at least 5 months without incident so it MUST be something NEW that I'm eating or eating too much of. I'm playing detective Goldie Locks at this point.

At first I thought maybe it's the catered lunch at work, but I've eaten the fish and veggies before. However, to rule it out I tried one day no fish. Same result. One day no tofu. Same result. One day no fruit after lunch. Same result. One day no mixed nuts. Same result. So yesterday since we are filming on location we had to order lunch and I brought my own. I made a sandwich I've eaten a thousand times before. Nothing happened til later in the afternoon, later than usual.
I thought, "what did I eat later today than I usually do? And is this thing a newer item?"

They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but it seems for me it keeps the gas coming this a-way. Or at least that's my CURRENT theory. Apples are now in season and I've just recently starting buying fresh ones at the farmers market. Enough to last me the week. And I've been eating one a day, usually around 10:30am when I get hunggies but yesterday I had it later in the day. So my logic tells me the apple might be the cause which is sad because I love me the farmers market apples but perhaps they are just TOO fresh for me to handle.

Therefore, today's test: No apple and God willing, no gas. I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments: