Monday, December 06, 2010


Over the weekend something rather peculiar happened to me. On Saturday I played my usual game of Ultimate Frisbee with a bunch of guys who are much taller than me. I get knocked around, but nothing really bad. This Saturday I seemed to somehow have a target on me as people kept accidentally knocking into me. So much so that I began to catch the frisbee and then turn and duck away from the person covering me. I blame most of it on the fact that I'm like a foot shorter than most of the guys so when they run, they don't see me. I'm like a gnome to them.

That's not the peculiar part. I think it's best to break this thing down into time.

1:15pm: Start playing Ultimate frisbee.

2:30pm ish: I deflect a frisbee away from two players, we all fall to the ground un-injured. My hand might have been bumped in the collision but it doesn't hurt.

3:45pm: Ultimate Frisbee is over. I'm sweaty and kinda dirty but otherwise unharmed.

4:00pm: I pick up some stuff from Whole Foods, using my arms. All is well.

4:30pm: I bake some awesome gingerbread/flax muffins.

6:00pm: I watch The Shield and eat some dinner.

8:30pm: David Alex and I go to my friend Jana's birthday party downtown.

9:00pm: We get lost downtown.

9:10pm: We enter Villian's Tavern and I drink some liquored up Hot Chocolate out of a jar.

9:30pm: We mingle with the people. I chat with an already tipsy Jana.

9:45pm: My wrist starts to feel a bit stiff. I stretch it and hold my drink in my left hand instead.

10pm: I can't put my right arm down as the blood rush makes my hand and wrist throb.

10:15pm: I'm unable to successfully shake hands with anyone new I meet and have to give them the left hand which just confuses them further.

10:30pm: I'm convinced my wrist is sprained as I can't open my hand without pain.

10:45pm: I'm not looking forward to the potential ER visit for tomorrow since the only way I can function without pain is holding my arm up over my heart with a closed fist. Uh oh spaghetti-os.

12am: I have to sign for my tab with my left arm which def makes me look like I'm super drunk.

12:30am: I go to bed with a package of frozen peas and hope to God it's all better come morning.


And then....I wake up and can function better but there was still some pain so I go to brunch with my cousin and bring a bag of ice along. Then I watched 127 Hours with some friends and realized a weirdly hurting wrist is much better than having to cut off your arm because you got stuck in a boulder. I mean, it's pretty close to the same thing, but I think that guy wins.

Today I'm just about back to normal. Thank God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

drinking from jars and frozen peas in one night??
Wow, things have changed.
Glad you are on the mend though. The force was with you!! maja