Sunday, April 03, 2011

And now Masterpiece Theatre presents the second part of an eight part series: Baja Road Trip, the Colleen Evanson story...

DAY 2

- As previously indicated I only packed clothes for about a week and when it started to drizzle I didn't exactly have a rain coat but did get to borrow a GIANT one that made me look like I was a five year old who discovered daddy's closet.

- Since I'm still on unemployment I bought a bunch of food at the local swap meet before we left to save on food costs (all for under 10 US dollars, what a steal!) I managed to grab a banana and some peanut butter before joining everyone for breakfast. They all thought I had an eating disorder when I didn't order anything until I told them I was poor.

- Attempting to read the scrolling news in Spanish and realizing I don't know as much as I think I do. "Something, something, Japan...."

- Forgetting how much being in a car all day blows, especially when my hip starts to hurt from sitting around. Though it did give me a common bond with my fellow retired traveling partners to complain about my body breaking. It is also possible they were sucking out my youngster energy in order for them to stay so spry...

- Not drinking water to avoid having to pee all the time. Then taking a pee break in the camper despite hearing we were 30 minutes away from our next stop because, hey you never know.

- Going around a corner to find the car we were following to be facing us and sliding backwards down the road, engine smoking, and a smashed car in the other lane. Oops. Accidente!

- Documenting the car engine set itself on fire...(thankfully no one was seriously hurt and on a lesser note thank god I took the pee break).

- Watching pudding go to waste at the side of the road and being tempted to save it. "Poor little pudding snack. It's still good. Is anyone looking?"

- Enjoying my cousin, Baja Joe, try to talk to the young Mexican woman who got injured and was smothered in blankets on the side of the road in Spanish, even though she spoke perfect English. Here's a sample. Baja Joe asks, "Senorita, donde esta un dolor?" The senorita replies from her cocoon, "My left arm hurts."
- Discussing my worse fear of being on fire, then running to ocean to put myself out only to be attacked by shark and subsequently drown. Hey, it could happen!

- As it began to rain and the military, ambulence, and tow truck arrived, Baja Joe ran to get a jacket and returned with a Shamu poncho.
- Rolling into a hotel that advertised to have free WiFi. Although they neglected to inform me it was the P.O.S. variety. I log on, get a full signal, it doesn't work. I log on, it kicks me off. I get on long enough to post a picture on Facebook, then it kicks me off. "Mexico, you internet tease. Fine. I’ll go to bed at 9:00pm…jerk." (File this complaint under: White Problem)

No comments: