Friday, April 08, 2011

DAY 5: Still Rouge

- Sunrise walk along the beach where I picked up more shells I really didn't need. I'm like a crazy bag lady walking around with rocks. "OK, I don't need any more - ooh look at this one, it's orange!"


- Back in the camper I enjoyed half of the pineapple empanada. 10 minutes later I enjoyed the other half.

- The salesman in Mexico are persistent and everywhere. We are on a beach and in the AM three different guys came to the door to sell us stuff. We caved for the guy with fruit and veggies in the trunk of his car. Sounds sketchy but it wasn't.

- We were still ROUGE and went back to a town called Guerro Negro in order to go whale watching the next morning. It was just the three of us - well four thanks to Paco. We went through military checkpoints. It's like a toll booth but instead of paying money you have to try to speak Spanish and get out of your car so the 15-25 year old kid with a gun on his back can make sure you aren't smuggling drugs. As I took Paco for a walk, I was asked the following:

1. What's the dogs name?
2. How long did you study Spanish?
3. Do you have a boyfriend?

- We stopped off in this town, I think was Santa Rosalia, where we found a church built by the same guy who did the Eiffel Tower. Like Superman, it was made of steel:


- Stopped by a famous supposedly french bakery now panaderia where Phil and I went to town. "Let's have 3 of those cookies, 2 of the scones, a couple of muffins, 3 slices of that crazy frosted bread, 1 of those red looking things, what is that? It's not blood right? I dunno she said it was fresca."

- Explored another grocery store aka place where items are stacked in a hot mess. Observe the cereal isle:


- And then had ice cream for lunch. I opted for the banana with nuts. The scooper was like this gun looking thing that made square like scoops. I've been told they do the same thing in the Rite Aids here in America. Shows how much I shop there...


- Suzi talks to my dad unsupervised on the phone and gets a kick out of his Lawng Island accent.

- I break into the giant bag of cookies and things, "hmm, tastes like gingerbread..."

- We were back at the hotel with the wonky internet so I went down the block to an internet cafe to check email and stop the shakes from my withdrawal. Only cost me 5 pesos for 10 minutes. Practically free!

- On the way to dinner I took my favorite picture of Suzi and Phil. The hand holding a sweet quiet gesture of love...and also because Suzi has terrible balance.


- At dinner I order a margarita. Til this point I was holding off and mostly ordering water. Suzi implies I need it to unwind from all the old people, I tell her I just needed to dry out for a bit as I've never drank so much in my life. This one hit the spot and we shared travel stories about other foreign countries where we were all at one point in a car on a makeshift road with a crazy driver thinking it would be our last.

- We topped off the night with some date pie that was a mix of flan with dates in it, baked with a hazelnut crust. We all agreed it was "interesting" but ate all of it.

No comments: